Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Repost of an opinion...

While visiting The Head this evening, I expressed some rather strong opinions on Charles Dickens holiday novel A Christmas Carol. I would like to now re-post those comments, since I find myself often losing interesting bits of written materials into the vast world of other blogs comment sections. Please, feel free to comment and converse!

At 7:10 PM, H G Wells said...

Head,
I would like to take a moment to address something which is brought to my attention every year at this time, yet I have held my tounge in commenting on it for many years...

Head, in this post you made reference to "Scrooge", as we all know, this refers to Charles Dickens Christmas-time novel A Christmas Carol Over the years, Dickens classic novel (HARDLY!) has become somewhat of a hallmark of this holiday season. It is this of which I take unbrage.I will not fill these precious pages with my opinions of Dickens works or character, after all, he was just an old coot when I was a young lad, but let me say this:

CHARLES DICKENS HATED CHRISTMAS!

Just read his dedication from any original, unedited text of that heralded holiday hardcover...

"I have endeavoured in this Ghostly little book, to raise the Ghost of an Idea, which shall put my readers out of humour with themselves,with each other, with the season, and with me.May it haunt their houses pleasantly, and no one wish to lay it.
Their faithful Friend and Servant, C. D."

That says it all.

Charles Dickens, up yours!

(I am terribly sorry for using so much space.)
-H.G.




4 Comments:

Blogger The Head said...

So are you back now Mr. Wells? Shall we have a Boodles martini tonight in celebration?

9:49 AM  
Blogger H G Wells said...

GREAT SHOW!

BOODLES ALL AROUND, HEAD!

I am back! I'm feeling wonderful, Head!

These past few weeks have refreshed and renewed me!

10:21 AM  
Blogger Isabella said...

My dear sir, i believe you may indeed be slightly tinctured in the brain.

This is an extremely high-compliment coming from me. Its rare that i make such a remark. Usually i am on the receiving end of such praise but Mr. Wells, i think you are deserving of my acknowledgement and awe.

Your faithful servant,
Isabella Wunder

2:25 PM  
Blogger H G Wells said...

Ah Isabella, Thank You!

I do not know if I deserve such praise or your loyal servitude...but I will graciously accept both!

"No compliment can be eloquent, except as an expression of indifference." - George Eliot
(who was a respected author and, in everyday life, Mary Ann Evans, best lapdance I ever had! )

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home